[game_edu] Ad Hoc committee

S. Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 11:11:49 EST 2008

I want to thank everyone for their time and thoughts regarding the
development of a checklist/stamp of approval or whatever we end up calling
this. I do not want to be in the accreditation business, but in the
recommendation and best practices. The goal of the SIG is to be as
transparent as possible, we have no intention of trying to do something like
this behind anyone's back. It is my goal to be as inclusive as possible in
our growth, plans and development. As our genre grows in maturity, we need
to prepare and plan appropriately. A few folks have pulled me aside, worried
about the slippery slope this could be, thank you and understood. We can not
ignore our responsibility, which is first to the students.

How we take these next steps is really up to the membership and the Ad Hoc
committee. I have asked Brenda Brathwaite to chair the committee and we will
be sending out letters to those that have applied to the committee on March
15. We are still in need of representation from community colleges, large
liberal arts institutions, international institutions as well as what we
consider to be vocational schools. I would like to make sure that we have
fair representation in this process. We can only do that if those
institutions participate, so please apply, all voices are equal in this
process. The duration of the committee, unless they ask otherwise, is from
mid-March to June, not a life-time commitment and yes, a great CV item, but
also a big responsibility.

I am going to throw a few more email bombs out before I go offline for a
chunk of time in the future, what fun to come home to so many replies, lol.
Nice to see that everyone is actually reading my emails.

Thank you,

Susan

On 3/2/08 8:48 PM, "Roberts, Scott" <sroberts at cti.depaul.edu> wrote:

> A good example of a school already using something like this is FIEA. They

> have ³5 Questions to Ask² for parents:

> http://www.fiea.ucf.edu/shield/showpage.php?page_id=1007

> The IGDA could create our own list, with variations for different types of

> programs, along the lines of what we¹d ask schools ourselves. This list could

> be widely publicized, including the Career Guide website and magazine, even

> guidance counselors. Schools could post the list and how they address each

> recommendation. I imagine that someone would create a website doing

> side-by-side comparisons broken down by types of school and program.

> Scott

Susan Gold
goldfile at gmail.com

³In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom!² - J. G. Ballard