[game_edu] CFP's

S. Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 20:21:24 EDT 2008

CALL FOR PROPOSALS: Submit a game to the Come Out & Play Festival in New
York City

We are extremely excited to announce that Come Out & Play will be returning
to New York City this spring. The festival will run from June 6-8. The
excellent bookstore Blue Stockings will play host to the festival and serve
as headquarters. The festival will spread across the Lower East Side of
Manhattan, bringing the streets to life.

Games will take place in locations around New York, but will be centered
around Blue Stockings and the Lower East Side.

We are now accepting applications for this year's festival. Click here to
download the application.

*ABOUT THE FESTIVAL*

New games, new ways to play

In 2006 the Come Out & Play Festival turned New York City into a playground
for a weekend, then did the same for the city of Amsterdam in 2007. Hundreds
of players gathered to play dozens different games across each city. Players
raced through the night in a city-wide game of zombie tag. Friends faced off
in life-sized Pong using only their ears to "hear" the ball. Payphones
produced points and Tompkins Square Park became a putt-putt course. 200
people performed stunts to display on the Reuters screen in Times Square. It
has been darn good and fascinating fun.

Well, the festival is back. In June 2008, New York will have the chance to
come out and play again across the Lower East Side of Manhattan.

Right now we're accepting applications for games in Come Out & Play 2008 in
New York. Drawing international media attention, designers from around the
world and hundreds of players, Come Out & Play features innovative work in
the emerging world of street games, big games and pervasive games.

For more information visit:
http://www.comeoutandplay.org

*SUBMIT TO THE FESTIVAL*

We want to include as many different types of games as possible in the
festival schedule. We are looking for innovative games that make interesting
use of public space.

What are we looking for?

Make sure your game sounds fun and interesting. We like innovative use of
public space. We like games which make people interact in new ways.

We like games that alter your perception of your surroundings. But most
importantly, we want the players to have fun

Some general suggestions:

* Your game should have rules
* Your game should have a game and people should be able to win
* It should be out in public

Other than, it's up to your imagination.

*APPLICATION* :: To apply, visit http://www.comeoutandplay.org
and download the application form.

Download directly at:
http://www.comeoutandplay.org/submissions/COAP08Submission.doc

*SUBMISSION DEADLINE* :: April 15, 2008

*NOTIFICATION* :: We will notify you by e-mail if your game has been
accepted into the festival schedule by April 30, 2008.

We look forward to reading your proposal.

*SCHEDULE*

- Submission deadline: April 15
- Notifications: April 30
- Festival: June 6-8

*INQUIRIES?*
Email us at info at comeoutandplay.org

*PLAY or VOLUNTEER*

Don't have a game, but still want to play or be involved? Visit
www.comeoutandplay.org to sign up for alerts about the festival.

*URL*
http://www.comeoutandplay.org

Jose Zagal
DiGRA Coordinator

Hi all,

a brief reminder that the deadline for submitting contributions to the
Vienna Games Conference 2008 "Future an Reality of Gaming (FROG)" is rapidly
approaching. Abstracts (1500-2000 words) have to be sent to
eva.frick at univie.ac.at by March 28.

Keynote speakers at the conference, which takes place in the Vienna City
Hall October 17 - 19, 2008, will be Mary Flanagan, Johannes Fromme, Gonzalo
Frasca, Jim Gee, Elizabeth Hayes and Tanya Krzywinska.

The conference is part of the larger Vienna Game City 2008 event and
promises to be highly informative as well as entertaining. Detailed
information can be found at www.bupp.at/frog.

Cheers, Michael Wagner

---
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Michael Wagner
Danube-University Krems
www.donau-uni.ac.at/acgs

Online Master of Arts in Computer Game Studies
www.donau-uni.ac.at/en/cgs

--
Susan Gold
goldfile at gmail.com

³In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom!² - J. G. Ballard