[game_edu] High School Teacher Training / Perkins Grants

Brenda Brathwaite bbrathwa at scad.edu
Thu Mar 20 21:29:16 EDT 2008

Hi Eric,

re:

> First, we're planning some workshops for High School teachers in our region

> to help them incorporate games and game design work in their classes

> (primarily science and math). Are there any particularly good

> resourcesyou've seen used for this?  Any model programs?

I am doing a workshop on using games and game design in education at SCAD Atlanta this summer, in fact. It's just not in your area. :) Feel free to contact me off list about bringing a workshop like this there, though. Sometimes the college makes things mobile.

http://www.scad.edu/admission/summer_programs/aef/index.cfm

>From extracurricular activities to everyday lives, the video game culture

is everywhere, except the classroom. Studies have shown, however,
that the interactivity present in video games has the tremendous
potential to teach. Using the power of this medium and young people’s
desire to learn about it, educators can make topics come alive
and capture their students’ interest as never before.

Brenda Brathwaite
Game Designer
Chair, Interactive Design and Game Development
Savannah College of Art and Design
www.scad.edu
blog: bbrathwaite.wordpress.com

> First, we're planning some workshops for High School teachers in

> our region

> to help them incorporate games and game design work in their classes

> (primarily science and math). Are there any particularly good

> resourcesyou've seen used for this?  Any model programs?

> Partially related, are there any game industry recognized

> certificationsyou've used or seen used for Perkins Grant

> funding?  Anything in a related

> field?

> Best wishes,

> eric

> --

> "Death is a primitive concept; I prefer to think of it as

> battling evil - in

> another dimension!" -- Grig

> For more information about NM Media-related Events, visit:

> http://nm-media.blogspot.com/

> --

> Eric Renz-Whitmore, Program Coordinator

> ARTS Lab

> MSC04 2570

> 1 University of New Mexico

> Albuquerque, NM 87131

> 505-277-2253

> http://artslab.unm.edu

Brenda

Brenda Brathwaite, Game Designer and Professor