[game_edu] inquiry from the press

Elias. e.wyber at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Oct 8 18:30:57 EDT 2008

Hi Susan,

Most schools I have dealt with seem to leave IP with the student, but
I did come across a couple that take partial or complete ownership of
all IP produced by students completing a course of study...at that
point I said NO THANKS and did not discuss collaboration with them any
further...

I have no issue with a school taking a share of research/development I
do with them (as staff or student) IF they also contribute to
development and exploitation of the resulting IP (Stanford and MIT are
usually cited as a prime example of this done well)...if it is just a
means to hoover up IP, and there is no benefit to the student, then it
seems egregious...

As to what we as a SIG could do, I am not sure - name and shame seems
like a start, but there is no forum for that...lobbying might help,
but I know the worst school I talked to told me where to shove my
opinion...needless to say, I am not their target demographic though (I
was discussing a staff role, and was not happy with their model - they
charge students AND sell the IP)...

HTH

Elias.