[game_edu] inquiry from the press

Clara Fernandez telmah at mit.edu
Thu Oct 9 17:29:52 EDT 2008

The policy at MIT is that the student retains the IP, unless it's work done
as an MIT employee, or as part of a contract or grant, or using substantial
use of MIT facilities
http://web.mit.edu/tlo/www/community/ownership.htmlThis is an IP
policy that was designed mostly for work done in engineering.
In our lab, we're constantly challenging the established procedures for IP
with browser games, for instance, because they work differently from
engineering projects.

I believe that what is key with IP rights is not so much who owns the IP,
but the possibility of licensing and managing the IP. If a student owns the
IP of her/his game, but does not know what that entails in the case of
developing a commercial product, it's not really helping students getting
their games to the market. So having a supportive technology licensing
office that helps students understand IP and negotiate licensing is as
important, if not more, than student-owned IP.

The other thing that is relevant here is to teach students that IP goes both
ways--they also have to be aware of the licensing terms of the software and
code they use, and respect the IP of others. For example, there are many
engines that have a student license that change their terms when they're
used for releasing a commercial product. Students tend to download code and
use it in their games, without caring about the terms of service; when it
comes to making a commercial product based on student work, it's good to
have kept track of all the third-party code that you used, because you may
not be able to use it unless you pay for it. And if it's GPL, well, you have
to release it for free as GPL. I pester my students so they keep track of
all the code snippets, libraries, fonts, and whatever materials they haven't
made themselves in their games. I know they hate it, but it's good practice
for work outside of the academic environment.

Clara

2008/10/8 Elias. <e.wyber at murdoch.edu.au>

> Hi Susan,

> Most schools I have dealt with seem to leave IP with the student, but I did

> come across a couple that take partial or complete ownership of all IP

> produced by students completing a course of study...at that point I said NO

> THANKS and did not discuss collaboration with them any further...

> I have no issue with a school taking a share of research/development I do

> with them (as staff or student) IF they also contribute to development and

> exploitation of the resulting IP (Stanford and MIT are usually cited as a

> prime example of this done well)...if it is just a means to hoover up IP,

> and there is no benefit to the student, then it seems egregious...

> As to what we as a SIG could do, I am not sure - name and shame seems like

> a start, but there is no forum for that...lobbying might help, but I know

> the worst school I talked to told me where to shove my opinion...needless to

> say, I am not their target demographic though (I was discussing a staff

> role, and was not happy with their model - they charge students AND sell the

> IP)...

> HTH

> Elias.

> On Oct 9, 2008, at 09:34, S.Gold wrote:

> I got a phone call this afternoon and wanted to share the gist of it with

>> you. I would also like to get your feedback (also let me know if you want me

>> to share it with the press).

>> Apparently some schools retain the ownership of all projects created by

>> their students. This has made it difficult if not impossible for graduates

>> to publish their games after leaving the schools. What do you think of these

>> policies ... and is it something that the IGDA or we as a SIG should/would

>> want to look into and perhaps influence?

>> Thanks,

>> Susan

Clara Fernández-Vara
Research Associate