[game_edu] inquiry from the press

Martin MASEK m.masek at ecu.edu.au
Wed Oct 8 19:35:15 EDT 2008

It is a good thing to look into. Here in Australia, Universities generally have an IP policy where the work students produce for their courses belongs to the student - which is fair enough, since the students don't work for us, in fact they are paying us money. I usually invite my students to sign a loose agreement which lets me show their games for publicity purposes but letting them retain all rights. The issue can get complicated however - there can be ongoing projects that last several semester with different student teams, projects with significant input by the academics, and projects build on frameworks developed at the institute.

Cheers,

Martin.

Dr Martin Masek
Honours degree coordinator
Games Programming major coordinator
School of Computer and Information Science
Edith Cowan University
2 Bradford Street, Mount Lawley, 6050
Tel: (61 8) 6304 6410
CRICOS Institution Provider Code 00279B

IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Games
15th - 18th December 2008, Perth, Western Australia