[game_edu] inquiry from the press

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 12:00:34 EDT 2008

Wow, I'm having flashbacks to the time when someone asked what the "best" schools were, and everyone chimed in with "well, the one I'm at is one of the best". Ugh.

I don't think the best way to go here is to name names or place blame. As the education SIG, isn't it our role to promote game education, not to quash it? We can endlessly debate amongst ourselves what the "best" way to run a school is, but at least let's not point fingers at one another in front of the press if we can help it.

Best I can see is that we can raise this as an issue for prospective students, show them why IP ownership may matter to them, and encourage them to ask questions (about official college policies on this and other things) before they commit to any school. But I still see it as the student's ultimate choice, not ours.

(For what it's worth, I see the practice of the school retaining ownership of student projects as short-sighted at best, and I'm certainly not intending to defend any schools or their policies. I just want what's in our collective best interests.)

- Ian