[game_edu] student IP rights (was inquiry from the press)

Joel Gonzales joel at lowpolycount.com
Thu Oct 9 13:40:26 EDT 2008

The event that showed how important IP ownership is for students was the
Slamdance competition last year. A game made by Digipen students was
withdrawn from the competition in protest over another entry's
disqualification. It was reentered against the students' wishes because
Digipen owned the IP.

http://www.watercoolergames.org/archives/000728.shtml

For public universities, it's a murky question about who should own IP
because part of tuition is paid for by tax money. In private universities,
I don't feel there is a good reason for students not to own their IP.

It's great to hear about the many universities that do allow students to
own their IP. I think it'd be great for the SIG/IGDA to look into this,
but I'm not sure what can be influenced.

(Yes, you can use my comments for the press)

--
Joel Gonzales
Department of Rock