[game_edu] inquiry from the press

Erin Hoffman erin.n.hoffman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 14:07:29 EDT 2008

Hi all... I've been trying to research further details on this without any
luck, and need to get to other things, so I thought I'd just send this out
to the list... Further regarding Carnegie Mellon specifically, my
understanding is that they ran head-first into this problem with a
student-created invention that CMU then tried to assert rights to. The
student sued the university, which resulted in them altering their policy to
give rights to the students, which, at the time, was unusual, and I think is
still the exception for many universities. Does anyone else have specific
information on this case? I'm surprised not to be able to find anything
through google...

This is definitely an issue that I think the IGDA should weigh in on and
something that students should be aware of and concerned about. Like
development studios that try to assert rights to all ideas generated during
a person's employment, it isn't something that is guaranteed to be enforced
even if it's present, but it is a risk and a policy that many universities
seem to have by default.

--Erin