[game_edu] Game studies and the economy

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 14:04:46 EDT 2009

I found the career pavilion at GDC this year to be an absolute waste
of time. It was extremely small, with several of the booths being used
for extra media interview space and not career space. Someone had the
great idea of handing out free beer to everyone who walked by, meaning
that half the people jostling for space were drunk (including one
particularly rude CA from Digipen who literally bumped me out of the
way so she could gush to a THQ rep about how much she loved his
games). There was a huge crowd of students jostling about, sitting
around playing games at the Activision booth, making it harder for the
rest of us to get around. Combined with the fact that some of the
career booths weren't even taking resumes, I got the impression that
the whole thing was just a waste of time.

Next year, GDC could definitely use a career pavilion that either has
exclusive events, or separate areas,for: 1) members of the industry
looking for work, and 2) graduate students, who don't want their
resumes and the like to be lumped in with high schoolers, and given
the same talkings-down that the rest of the industry.

-Dan