[game_edu] Game studies and the economy

Instructor Brandii instructor.brandii at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 15:09:32 EDT 2009

GDC was definately smaller this year. No breakfast, no bags for Expo badge
holders, and worst of all - no Suite Night! That's a major networking
opportunity down the drain. I felt sorry for the students under 21,
they felt shut-out of the bar-related networking events but the one event
where they usually could go was cancelled.

There were fewer companies with recruiting booths (notable absences: Bungie,
Harmonix, Monolith, Id, Bethesda, Zipper, Nintendo, Cryptic...). Also, some
companies sent people to recruit, but didn't setup a booth.

Most companies weren't really interested in entry-level right now, but they
want resumes for when they staff-up in the future. The next console
generation is right around the corner and some companies are gearing up for
it now. That means seniors are in high demand now, but in about a year
they'll need mid-low level people to carry out the projects those seniors
started.

I'm not as concerned about the layoffs because I think some companies are
using the economy as an easy excuse to let go of projects, people, and
expenses they don't want to have to deal with once the economy turns around.
I've seen enough companies announce big layoffs "forced on them by the
economy", that turn right around and start recruiting for new projects. In
bigger companies this could be a case of left hand not talking to the right
hand, but in smaller companies thats rarely seems the case.

If you have a game department at your school, your '09 grads will likely
have a harder time finding work in the industry than your '08 grads. Their
best bet may be to go out of the country. No matter what job they take, if
they spend the next year working on improving their skills, they'll have a
better chance breaking-in next year.

Here's to hoping for an economic upturn - soon!

-Brandii Grace
Game Design Instructor
Digipen