[game_edu] Game studies and the economy

steve graham skudge at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 12:29:04 EDT 2009

Software design and development is unusual in the differences in
productivity among individuals and in individuals as members of a team.
A known good performer is far more valuable than an unknown. A known
consistent performer is far more valuable than an unknown. A known
contributing team member is far more valuable than an unknown. The costs
of finding and hiring an employee are significant (relative to
salaries). The potential costs of hiring a marginal (or talented but
counter productive) performer are high. The ramp-up time for a new-hire
out of school is several months, and even for an experienced individual,
it can be months depending on the complexity of the project and the
development environment.

Software design and development is counter-intuitive in that adding
people to a late project makes it later. (See _The Mythical Man-Month_
by Frederick Brooks). In general, software design and development effort
is not fungible.

The upshot of this is that knowledgeable managers of software projects
are extremely careful about making changes to a team.

A challenge, of course, is that not all software design & development
efforts are managed by individuals who understand the issues.

Another factor relevant to replacing expensive individuals with less
expensive ones is the ratio of costs for the expensive ones to the less
expensive ones. For software development salaries, the ratios of the top
50th, 75th, and 90th percentile to the 10th percentile are: 1.6x,
2.0x, 2.4x.

In contrast, for lawyers, the top 50th, 75th, and 90th percentile to the
10th percentile are: 2.0x, greater than 2.6x, and reater yet.

So, the costs and risks for replacing expensive software design &
development professionals with less expensive ones are high, while the
benefits, in contrast to lawyers are lower.

The numbers and arguments above are general for any software design
effort, not just game design. Other areas within game design &
development may be more like the situation with lawyers, and less like
that of software designers. I'm not sure. The numbers were drawn from
information available from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (lawyer's info
was taken directly, that for software design/development was an amalgam
of information based on programming, application development, systems
development, and CS R&D).

The outliers in compensation are those cases where individuals have a
substantial stake in the outcome of a project -- for lawyers, receiving
a substantial percentage of a transaction or settlement -- for software
developers, having options/ownership in a small company. Since such
compensation is tied almost directly to success at a fairly narrow
activity, it isn't really relevant to the discussion of replacing
expensive employees with less expensive ones. A similar argument applies
to bonuses tied to individual performance. Companies change their bonus
plans rather than replacing employees.

cheers,
skg