[game_edu] Game studies and the economy

Scott Maddock smaddock at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 15:23:49 EDT 2009

That was me. I don't think the school's program is going to fold because
they nixed the openings for more faculty (but it might start crumbling if
they don't retain the people they already have who are holding the program
together...that's another story).

I do think it's possible that game development is something of a "fad" in
the higher levels of academia right now. We may see a bubble forming now
that will burst (think dot-coms ten years ago), leaving only the few
programs that truly managed to do something special (CMU's ETC comes to
mind), and it'll be chalked up to a failed experiment at other schools that
move on to the next bright, shiny thing they can use to try and boost
admissions numbers.
Or I could be totally wrong ;)