[game_edu] Game studies and the economy

Dan Carreker DanC at NarrativeDesigns.com
Thu Apr 2 17:48:26 EDT 2009

I think the problem is educating the general public. I know a number of students who went to my school were told fantastic tales of what they would be learning (like they'd build their own game engine).

The problem is, right out of high-school, many potential students have little understanding of the WORK it takes to succeed in the industry. I'd say that's even true of some of the schools that are jumping on the bandwagon. And as long as people keep playing to go there, there is little incentive for change.

So the real issue is letting the general public know what is happening.

--Dan

Dan Carreker
www.NarrativeDesigns.com
"If I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood.
I'd type a little faster." - Asimov

----- Original Message -----
From: Scott Maddock
To: IGDA Game Education Listserv
Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2009 12:23 PM
Subject: Re: [game_edu] Game studies and the economy

That was me. I don't think the school's program is going to fold because they nixed the openings for more faculty (but it might start crumbling if they don't retain the people they already have who are holding the program together...that's another story).

I do think it's possible that game development is something of a "fad" in the higher levels of academia right now. We may see a bubble forming now that will burst (think dot-coms ten years ago), leaving only the few programs that truly managed to do something special (CMU's ETC comes to mind), and it'll be chalked up to a failed experiment at other schools that move on to the next bright, shiny thing they can use to try and boost admissions numbers.

Or I could be totally wrong ;)