[game_edu] Man under a Bus Survey

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 3 11:01:33 EDT 2009

Let me change the question around a little bit: what is the value of an individual professor? Is it a skilled labor position, or is it monkey work that any idiot with a set of lesson plans can do?

In my case, I see three major things that I do for the departments I'm working for:

1) Content creation (i.e. making lesson plans)
2) Curriculum development
3) Content delivery (i.e. actually teaching the classes)

There's a lot of focus on that third one, and whether someone else could deliver my content as well as I can. Of course they can't; it's my content, so I'm the one who can present it the best. Could someone else deliver my content at some baseline level of competency, so that their students would at least get the general gist of things? Yeah, I think so.

But here's the thing... #1 and #2 are not one-shot tasks. The industry changes so frequently that courses and curricula need to be re-evaluated on a more or less constant basis. If a school brings me in as a consultant, has me create a full curriculum and all of the content to fill the courses, then I get hit by a bus... well, they'd better have someone else who knows what they're doing, or their whole program will be obsolete in a few years.

As I told a colleague recently, this is why I'm doing the summer course online. Yeah, I'm giving away some of my content for free, but that's not my primary value. You can have the golden eggs, but the real value is in the goose that lays them :-)

- Ian