[game_edu] What would be your ideal design classroom setup?

David Wessman wessmaniac at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 10:56:30 EDT 2009

Here's one suggestion:

Have all of the workstations facing the wall (i.e. the student's backs are
to the center of the room.) If you need access to the walls, leave gaps
between workstations and/or between workstations and wall.

Pros:

- Increases collaboration and communication - it affords frequent
serendipitious sharing among students - especially when they're working on
team projects. A student may be struggling with something, and another
student (or the instructor) sees that and offers help. Or a student may have
gone off task, and another student can help them get back on track.
Also,workstations near corners form natural small teams - they can see what
each other is doing, and this fosters communication as above only stronger.
- Reduces slackery, tomfoolery and shenanigans. What students are doing
is clearly visible to everyone - if you're screwing around everyone can see
that, so people tend to stay focused on what they're supposed to be doing.
The instructor (or anyone else) can stand in the center of the room as scan
what everyone is doing.
- The entire room can engage in face to face discussion simply by turning
their chairs around.
- The center space can be used to accommodate one or more worktables,
comfy chairs, etc.

Cons:

- Harder to keep students from cheating on tests.
- Humans have a natural aversion to sitting in a way that makes them feel
vulnerable. ("I want my back to the wall and a seat where I can keep an eye
on the exits.")

Hope this is helpful,
David Wessman - UAT