[game_edu] Resource division for games

Mark Baldwin mark at baldwinconsulting.org
Thu Feb 5 19:19:22 EST 2009

Actually, I think generalizing has a great deal of value. It doesn't tell
you the specifics about any single project but it does tell you a lot about
the nature of entertainment software and the creation process. Consider
the two possible comparative cases:

Case 1 (my current approximation for games):
Management 10%
Design 20%
Programming 25%
Art/sound 40%
Testing 5%

Case 2 (which might apply to software like Quicken or Word):
Management 5%
Design 5%
Programming 75%
Art/sound 5%
Testing 10%

The first case implies a great deal of the resources go into the creative
(art and design). That even the creative might be the most important part
of games. The second case if it was true about games implies most of the
resources go into software engineering, and engineering is the most
important aspect of games. Consider what each case if generally true ABOUT
GAMES might mean for education, game ludology, game software engineering or
even games management. Certainly, approximations and rough estimates have
errors, but if we want to look at the big picture, we have to have these
types of approximations.

I would suggest that understanding the mix of components that goes into
games can be a powerful insight into the huge difference between tool
software and entertainment software.

Mark
Mark Lewis Baldwin
Baldwin Consulting