[game_edu] Resource division for games

Dan Carreker danc_gamer at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 5 21:17:44 EST 2009

Well, okay I get your point but it still seems of very limited use.  Fallout 3 is a game that was in production over 4 years and easily 250 people plus outsourcing (more if you include Interplay's production before they sold it.)  Portal was a 10  person teamthat finished  in little over two years.

If you average them together, does it really give you any basis to make generalized comments about?  I think some division, even if done by monetary cost, size of team, or production time would be more usefull.  Such as "games with production costs under $1 million"  tend to utilize 50% of resources on programming, where as games over $5 million spend about 35% of their budget on programming."  Theses numbers are, of course, entirely made up, and there may be too much a variation even after classified this way for the numbers to be useful, but you get the idea.

Just my thoughts