[game_edu] Summer internships in gaming?

Scott Maddock smaddock at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 16:43:14 EST 2009

I think Ian makes a good point, though the exception is probably QA. My
first job was a QA internship, and eventually led to a Jr. Designer
position, and I was off. QA has less "ramping up" time, and there's less
negative impact when a tester has to disappear at the end of the summer
than, say, a programmer. It's probably of greater interest to a design
student than an art, programming, or sound student, but it's a foot in the
door and a potential connection to be made.

And as others have said, local connections are a great way to go if there
are companies in the area. This is especially true if there are companies
with existing ties to your school (i.e. my school, Rensselaer, and Vicarious
Visions). I second the recommendation for gamedevmap.com and forming ties
with local developers.

Best of luck to you and your students!

~ Scott