[game_edu] Summer internships in gaming?

YAMANE Shinji Yamane.Shinji at iii.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Thu Feb 19 06:21:58 EST 2009

I agree with Ian that commercial game development is longer than a
summer time.

Subject: Re: [game_edu] Summer internships in gaming?
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 07:51:03 -0800 (PST)

> game projects typically take longer than a summer, and development

> teams don't particularly like it when a key project member leaves in

> mid-project

So, if your students are interested in not only commercial industry
but also open source programing, "Google Summer of Code" may be a kind
of summer internship with online mentoring.

Google SoC is a short scholarship for students and developers and some
Free or Open Source game projects had applied. Last year, I found
OLPC, SimCity(Micropolis), Battle for Wesnoth, BZFlag, Crystal Space,
ScummVM, Thousand Parsec, WorldForge, Linden Lab, and ES operating
system (it is not a game software, but born from Nintendo!).

See Google FAQ and Open Source blog for further information:
http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/search/label/thousand parsec
http://code.google.com/intl/ja/opensource/gsoc/2008/faqs.html

Though Google does not announced about the SoC in this year.
I expect the announcement may be appeared in March :-).

--
Shinji R. Yamane