[game_edu] Gaming Conventions

Jordan Lynn jordanl at uga.edu
Wed Jan 21 17:31:48 EST 2009

Wow- 10 replies in 2 hours FAR exceeded my expectations! Thank you everyone
for responding so quickly.
I have applied for a scholarship to GDC, but that event is ideal for the
research because most of the attendees will be professionals and academics,
who, while having valid opinions on my research, wouldn't be the people I
need to interview.
I'm also going to be competing in the Global Game Jam, but thanks for that
invitation :).
I believe I may have found a suitable location: has anyone ever heard
anything about the Carolina Games Summit?

Thanks again everyone!
-Jordan

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Liz M.E. Chung <lizchung at gmail.com> wrote:

> QuakeCon started the concept of the BYOC (Bring your own computer) event,

> with many organizations following soon after:

> the CPL, WSVG, GGL, WCG, Dreamhack, iSeries, the Gathering, Lanwar,

> MassiveLAN--mostly organizations that sponsor competitive gaming leagues and

> events.

> -M

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Seth Sivak <sjsivak at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I think that the biggest LAN event you can find is quakecon:

>> http://www.quakecon.org/ but that is after your time frame.

>> Although i have never used this site, it may help you :

>> http://www.lanpartymap.com/

>> Seth

>> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Johnnemann Nordhagen <

>> jnordhagen at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> GDC may not be what you're looking for, as it's primarily game industry

>>> professionals (who are mostly gamers, certainly, but who interact with the

>>> games they play in a different manner than just gamers).

>>> It's a great conference to go to for its own sake, of course.

>>> Johnnemann