[game_edu] It's an interdisciplinary field

Casey O'Donnell odonnc at rpi.edu
Sat Mar 7 10:15:00 EST 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Roberts, Scott <sroberts at cim.depaul.edu> wrote:

> Luckily we're not in a powerless position.  There's a reason that game

> programs are popping up everywhere and in various departments: high student

> interest.  This is a valuable political commodity that needs to be leveraged

> by committed faculty.  Other fields would kill to have the level of interest

> that this field has.

It is even more complicated for those of us attempting to build
interdisciplinary programs amidst 8-16% budget cuts. Despite demand,
the crushing weight of no money anywhere for just about anything at
public institutions has me wondering if private institutions don't
have a better idea...

Any success stories of squeezing blood from stones is welcome. Things
have gone alright thus far, but the continued uphill slog is wearing
on ones soul.

Cheers.

--
Casey O'Donnell, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Telecommunications

http://www.caseyodonnell.org