[game_edu] Games for Change Festival - Registration rates increase Monday

Alex Quinn alex at gamesforchange.org
Fri May 15 10:57:40 EDT 2009

Register now before the rates go up on Monday May 18th for the 2009
Sixth Annual Games for Change Festival, May 27 - 29, in New York
City! (We also offer substantial registration discounts for nonprofit/
academic and student participants.) This is the only event dedicated
to the exciting new movement of video games for social change - games
about poverty, global conflict, climate change. Called "the Sundance
of video games" for "socially-responsible game-makers" we're building
a new genre of video game - games to change the world - for the better.

This year's festival features an Opening Keynote by Pulitzer-Prize
winning authorand world-changing New York Times journalist Nicholas
Kristof who will give us a sneak peek into his new book, television
show and video game!

Other festival highlights include a fireside chat with preeminent
games and learning scholars Jim Gee and Henry Jenkins; an interactive
game design session by leading game designer Eric Zimmerman; and a
closing keynote by Lucy Bradshaw, Executive Producer of Spore, and one
of the 10 Most Influential Women In Games.

And don't miss our Games Expo, where festival-goers can see and play
these new games firsthand in a lively and media-friendly reception.
And this year will see the first-ever Knight News Game Award,
sponsored the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation. Come see how
games are being used to address key events and issues in the news!

Back by popular demand "Let the Games Begin: 101 Workshop on Making
Social Issue Games," our pre-festival day-long workshop for newbies on
May 27th! (2008 MacArthur Foundation's DML Competition award-winner)
This workshop is a soup-to-nuts tutorial on the fundamentals of social
issue games. Vital to those who are new to designing learning games
but passionate about social issues, the workshop features leading
experts on game design, fundraising, evaluation, youth participation,
distribution, and press strategies. The 101 Workshop on Making Social
Issue Games is made possible through the generous support of the AMD
Foundation.

Festival panelists and speakers include:

Ian Bogost, CEO of Persuasive Games and author of Unit Operations: An
Approach to Videogame Criticism
Heather Chaplin, journalist (NPR, NYT) and author of Smartbomb: The
Quest for Art, Entertainment, and Big Bucks in the Videogame Revolution.
Mary Flanagan, Director of the Tiltfactor Lab
Tracy Fullerton, Assistant Professor, USC, Interactive Media
Judith Helfand, Independent filmmaker
Frank Lantz, CEO Area Code; Acting Director, NYU Game Center
John Nordlinger, Senior Research Manager, Microsoft
Ian Rowe, former head of Public Affairs at mTV
Katie Salen, Executive Director, Institute of Play; Associate
Professor, Design and Technology Department, Parsons The New School
for Design
Seth Scheisel, New York Times game critic and technology journalist
Kurt Squire, Assistant Professor at University of Wisconsin-Madison
Constance Steinkuehler, Assistant Professor Assistant Professor Ph.D.
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Clive Thompson, Contributor, The New York Times, Wired

Among many others.

For more information and to register, visit http://www.gamesforchange.org/fest2009
. We look forward to seeing you all there!

Alex Quinn,
Executive Director, Games for Change
alex at gamesforchange.org
www.gamesforchange.org