[game_edu] Doctorate in Game Design / Development

Greg ANDERSON ganderson at weber.edu
Wed Nov 25 14:18:37 EST 2009

I agree. You just need to be creative and tie the research into your PhD

I am finishing my doctorate in technology management at Indiana State University with an emphasis on human resource and development with the dissertation being "The impact of playing collaborative video games on team cohesion".

Greg Anderson
Chair
Computer Science
Weber State University

>>> "Grimshaw, Mark" <M.N.Grimshaw at bolton.ac.uk> 11/25/09 11:13 AM >>>

Hi Marc,

There are many, many more universities than Susan is aware of (especially in the UK) that supervise students wishing to undertake PhD/doctoral research in games design/development (including my own where I have several such students). Like any research degree, you create the topic (design the degree if you wish) and typically write a large thesis over three years (full-time) that is 'an original contribution to the sum of human knowledge'. There are variations of this including PhD by Publication where you are assessed on the basis of publications and PhD by Practice where a large component of your submitted work is practical (game software, for example).

--

Dr. Mark Grimshaw
Reader in Creative Technologies