[game_edu] A Casual Revolution

Susan Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 18:49:55 EDT 2009

Here is the announcement of my just-released book, A Casual Revolution.
Thanks to everybody on the list who helped make this book possible!
I am writing to let you know that my new book, A Casual Revolution:
Reinventing Video Games and Their Players has just been published by
MIT Press.

A Casual Revolution is my take on what is happening with video games
right now:

* Why is the Nintendo Wii more successful than the Xbox 360 and
the PlayStation 3?
* Why is the audience for video games expanding?
* Who plays Bejeweled, and why?
* What is a casual player? What is casual game design?
* Are casual games a return to the arcade game, or are they
something new?
* How did Solitaire become one of the most popular video games?
* What is the secret behind the success of Guitar Hero and Rock
Band?
* Why is Parcheesi/Ludo a social game? Why is Animal Crossing?
* Does the rise of casual games mean the downfall of hardcore
games?
* � and more.

A Casual Revolution is a 256-page book about what is important: The
joy of the casual video games that we play during a work break, on
phones, with the family, or with friends at a late-night party.

The book includes 100 illustrations as well as interviews with game
players and developers.

Get A Casual Revolution from your neighborhood bookstore or from your
favorite online retailer.

The book's companion website is: http://www.jesperjuul.net/casualrevolution/

The official MIT Press page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11844

Thanks to everybody who made this book possible!

Jesper Juul
http://www.jesperjuul.net
New York University Game Center

--
Susan Gold
In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom!