[game_edu] Readings, Libraries & Copyright

Malcolm Ryan malcolmr at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sun Sep 20 22:05:00 EDT 2009

As a lecturer in game design, I want to set a 'reading list' of games
for my students to play. In other disciplines the University has
standard copyright arrangements which allow them to make sets of
readings available to students at little or no cost, but there doesn't
seem to be any appropriate arrangement for software.

Have you encountered this problem? How have you addressed it?

I know that a lot of good cutting-edge independent work is available
cheaply or for free online, but I don't want to be forced to exclude
AAA titles from examination. Ideally I would like to set up a library
of games but I am worried about the copyright and licensing issues.
Does anyone know more about this?

Malcolm