[game_edu] Readings, Libraries & Copyright

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Sep 21 05:48:58 EDT 2009

The educators I talked to at DiGRA all just have game libraries they
loan games out of, and/or have consoles and PC's to play them on in
labs. I presume either it's legal, or the restrictions that people might
think of (EULA, etc.) are unenforceable or too overarching to apply to
lending. As far as I recall, interestingly places like Blockbuster (and
other game lending services) don't pay anything special for their copies
in the UK, but that might have changed at some point.

Just as with books, if they are not in this library (or are loaned out,
or whatever), then the students need to buy them I'd guess (or might
want to buy them anyway). Problem is backcatalogues of games are hard to
find (especially platform specific ones not re-released on an emulator),
so something worth doing is investigating where the games can be brought
from (if anyone can tell me where to find Planescape Torment,
DRM-unencumbered, that's something I'm looking for ;) the second hand
version all go for high amounts on Amazon it seems).

Andrew