[game_edu] Readings, Libraries & Copyright

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 00:44:38 EDT 2009

You could of course directly seek licenses from the various
manufacturers (or for abandonware titles just go ahead and use them),
but that of course costs money. From a fair use standpoint it's a
very tough sell -- part of the reason that universities can make
reading lists available to students cheaply or freely, is that in many
cases the amount and substantiality of the book being used (one of the
four factors of a fair use determination) is extremely low. By
definition, you can't do that in a game, you're always making the
whole thing available. In addition, many of those books are written
without the intention of making a profit, generally not the case with
games.

One potential option is to consider getting a internet cafe license
for things that are available on Steam. Another option is to purchase
a small number of licenses/copies of games that all teach the same
thing, and then rotate. For instance, group A will play Game A, while
group B plays game B, then they switch. Of course, the end cost is the
same (i.e. still getting 30 copies of SOMETHING), but the number of
games you can cover with that same amount of money is much greater.

My best advice though, is to simply ask. PR companies regularly give
out press review copies, it wouldn't be out of line to request they
give an educational copy with a multi-seat license, just so they can
say "Our game is being taught at University of X".

-Dan Rosenthal