[game_edu] Readings, Libraries & Copyright

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 22 14:18:41 EDT 2009

Haha... "standard"... good one. :-)

There have been numerous "must-play" lists. Whenever I try to make one of my own, I can never seem to narrow it down below 30 or so.

I think a lot depends on your goals. If it is just a matter of "game literacy" -- that is, playing at least one canonical game in each major genre, playing all the games that are well-known, and so on, then you will come up with a very different list than if you are looking for games that offered technical innovation for its time, which in turn is different from a list of games that were pioneering new forms of design or unique visual art styles or even games that were failures in notable ways.

Rather than trying to cram all of these into a single class, it might be better to spread it across the entire curriculum. Provide exposure to a few games at a time as they tie in to the content of any given course, and make sure the sum total of classes gives students exposure to all the games you'd consider "must-play". Sure, you can have a "Game Appreciation" course that covers a lot of games, but I'm not sure you could fit everything into 10 or 12 weeks... nor would you want to (else you run the danger of students thinking that all the games in that class aren't relevant to their other coursework, since it's all too self-contained).

- Ian