[game_edu] Readings, Libraries & Copyright

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Tue Sep 22 18:49:42 EDT 2009

You want Liberated Games for truely free games:
http://www.liberatedgames.com/

I think there every major genre is covered, if you must have that
(what's a major genre? think you can narrow that down enough? :) ).

Abandonware is basically only in the "not being sued" area (certainly in
some cases because no one can figure out, or even cares about the rights
to a game). For preservation work (and therefore, partially, education)
it's one of the only ways to find certain titles, for better or worse.

As for "what people should play" - if you do narrow it down to a genre,
then certainly "suggested titles" might be good, but also simply having
a good list of what constitutes a genre is a nice idea, since people can
easily pair off what they have from that kind of selection. I mean, if
you've played Halo, then you've got a good grasp of console FPS gameplay
and design, so why would you also need to play Killzone? (and vice
versa, with many more examples to boot!).

With that in mind, I found the list produced by this quick Game Career
Guide article to be pretty neat, and I've not even got around to all the
games on it (I need someone to properly teach me some of them, others
are on consoles I've never owned):
http://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/668/ask_the_experts_31_games_students_.php

Everyone has their list - what I found interesting about this one was,
apart from being mixed (and not by any word complete) it had board
games, infamous games, and games specifically about their design - card
games, the "first" in a type of genre, and more. Very varied, which is
great.

One day I'm going to compile a ton of "lists" (yeah, yeah, great
internet content right?) into something more fathomable, since I keep
forgetting "classics" or "must play" even though I've played them myself
- but then again, perhaps if I can't recall them all off the top of my
head, they're not that great! (Lucky I don't have to teach this, I'm on
here of course more as an observer :) ). I wonder how much of it comes
down to simple nostalgia sometimes though, and if teaching people about
certain old games is not a good thing. Lots of questions in what to
promote! It's a creative craft after all, there is, I think, little in
the way of "right" or "wrong".

Andrew