[game_edu] placement rates (was Introduction - Sheri Rubin)

baylor wetzel baylorw at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 10:49:09 EDT 2009

Is that an accreditation issue? We're also required to have a 70% placement
"in field" (and we sometimes fight over what counts as in-field), but i
thought it was an arbitrary number our school chose. i hadn't realized that
it was set by accreditation

One issue i'm unsure of is how we handle "self-employed". Our program
explicitly focuses on small game companies - we place people in large
companies from time to time but we realize the midwest isn't the gaming
hotspot so we try to make them well rounded and prepare them for small,
indie and casual game jobs. A lot of students start their own game
companies. The question is whether to count those as being employed. Someone
with a staff of five, some venture capital, a real office and a publisher
relationship working 40 hours a week should count but someone who has a day
job at Walmart, tinkers with a game idea a few hours a week and claims to
have a game company should not. i don't know what criteria my school uses
(or how it can even verify the facts), so placement rates should probably be
taken with a grain of salt

-baylor