[game_edu] Game Guild

Leo Alvarez postmoderntechie at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 22:46:47 EDT 2009

Greetings,

I'd like to network with other individuals who are building a game guild. My
goal is to approach a series of software companies with a proposal in the
next few months.

The goal would be to introduce students at the high school level and take
them through an internship in the gaming industry or the like. Then,
introduce Maya and 3ds Max as a capstone project.

I've already compiled a list of resources that I would be willing to share
with others. I would appreciate any and all feedback. Briefly, students
would be interested to Scratch <http://scratch.mit.edu/>,
Alice,<http://www.alice.org/> Game
Make <http://www.yoyogames.com/make>r, and Gamestar
Mechanic<http://www.instituteofplay.org/node/162/>.
A transition to Star Logo <http://education.mit.edu/starlogo/> would be made
and build further to Motion
Builder<http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Autodesk-Introduces-prnews-641303155.html?x=0&.v=1>,
Mudbox, ZBrush <http://www.novedge.com/products/3181>,
Maya<http://www.novedge.com/>,
and 3ds Max <http://www.novedge.com/>.

This is an ambitious task. I've seen it done in other parts of the country.
I'm looking for best practices and ways to introduce it to a broader
community. An emphasis on Computational Thinking will be the hallmark of the
guild. Jeannette M. Wing’s work in Computation Thinking is a reliable
resource that will ensure the stakeholders understand their roles in the
development a multi-disciplinary learning approach. Jeannette is the
President’s Professor of Computer Science in and head of the Computer
Science Department at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA.

I'm also very interested in the hardware required to run a solid gaming
rendering lab. This should lend itself to preference in platform and tips on
post-production.

Please forward any links that are in harmony with the brief overview of the
project above at your earliest convenience.

Leo