[game_edu] Game Guild

coachpayne at aol.com coachpayne at aol.com
Sun Sep 27 21:00:02 EDT 2009

Hello List:

     I’m also planning a Game Development and Simulation course, and would be highly interested in a Game Guild. This course will be offered next semester, starting in late January of 1010. I currently teach Computer Programming I and AP Computer Science at an urban high school, and use Alice (for 3D animation) and Karel J Robot (for 2D animation) to present an interesting experience for the students prior to the AP course for which Java is the current language of choice.  I’m planning to include Scratch this year, and have gotten some lesson plans as well.  In the Game Development course, I’m planning to use Game Maker.  We are on a block system, and the Game Development course is still a bit flexible.  I’m always looking for ways to better prepare the course.  I’d like to think that after the first year, this might become a multi-course elective selection, perhaps culminating with Maya and 3ds Max as well.  Budgetary constraints have limited my acquisition of hardware, and this might be a limiting factor.  The machines we have now are old, but seem to do fine with Alice and Karel J Robot, but Maya might be a different story!  I’d also be happy to send anyone my current syllabi.

     All suggestions are welcome.  I’m one of the old geezers with a high interest in game development, having been around to play the original Pong!  That being stated, I had nearly 200 people
sign up to be considered as students in Computer Programming, AP Computer Science, and Game Development and Simulation, and was able to allow about a hundred in.  I’m the only teacher of these courses in the school, and also teach several levels of physics (in which I utilize VPython for simulations), but we may try to get some other teachers involved, although, as I’ve stated, money and hardware comprise the limiting factors.

    Thanks.

Charlie Payne

coachpayne at aol.com

Charles.Payne at dpsnc.net