[game_edu] "Identifying a Good Game School"

Jose P. Zagal jzagal at cdm.depaul.edu
Fri Apr 2 16:36:38 EDT 2010

Hi,

I'm sorry, but I guess I can't agree with many of the earlier comments
regarding the "Identifying a Good Game School" article. While the
article certainly has some genuinely wonderful advice (I would single
out the advice on accreditation and IP ownership as exemplars in this
case), I am deeply concerned by other aspects of the article.

This article, in its language, tone, and examples, perpetuates and
strengthens a misguided view of what it means to get an education that
is worrisome and potentially damaging. In particular, it supports the
following notions:

1. Students know what's best for their education.

2. Research-focused institutions have poor teaching.

3. Research-focused institutions (or "career academics"), have no impact
or relation to the game industry.

4. The goal of a university education is to get a job.

5. Entrepreneurship is what you do when you can't get a job.
(and a university education can't prepare you for entrepreneurship)

6. If it isn't obviously related to games, it's useless to a games
education.

--
José P. Zagal
Assistant Professor