[game_edu] a lot of CFP's

Susan Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 08:08:50 EDT 2010

Apologies for cross-postings. Please send to interested colleagues and
students
1. Digital Interactive Storytelling
2. Virtual Worlds in the Workplace
3. IADIS INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE WEB BASED COMMUNITIES 2010
3, SPECIAL ISSUE OF THE RIA (ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE JOURNAL) on
Serious Games

---
Digital Interactive Storytelling

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijcgt/osi.html <http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijcgt/osi.html

Call for Papers

In recent years, the field of Digital Interactive Storytelling (DIS)
has enjoyed a keen interest in both academic circles and the game
industry. DIS allows creating a bespoke story according to user
interactions. As a mixture of storytelling, game technologies, and
user interactions, DIS provides users the ability to interact with the
storyteller and the story characters in real-time, so that dynamic and
customized storylines can be generated.

DIS, including novel forms of gameplay, medical application, and
serious games, guarantees to become an important research area. DIS
provides access to shared themes through stories, and promises to
advance significantly the potential for interactive entertainment,
computer games, and other digital interactive applications. DIS
research identifies challenges and solutions for redefining our
understanding of narrative structure and theory through interactive
simulations in computer-generated story worlds.

DIS could also be enhanced with the convergence of sociology,
pedagogy, and edutainment. Recently, computer games have been deployed
for educational purposes and proven to be an effective approach for
learning and teaching. Many conceptual similarities exist between
storytelling and educational gaming. The development of DIS will thus
make a huge contribution that will expand the horizons in the fields
of games, interactive entertainment, and edutainment.

In this special issue, we invite submission of papers from current
research in the multidisciplinary research field of DIS and its
related technology and application areas, for example, games, virtual/
online worlds, e-learning, edutainment, and entertainment, including
but not limited to:

* Tools for interactive storytelling
* Narrative in digital games
* Story generation and plot management engine
* Interactive storytelling theory
* Emotion design for interactive storytelling
* Believable virtual characters in real-time narrative environments
* Virtual characters and agents
* Novel narrative forms inspired by new technology
* Real-time techniques for interactive storytelling
* Interactive digital storytelling: theories, methods, and concepts
* Story and game design paradigms for technology-enhanced learning
* Augmented storytelling and gaming
* Storytelling and educational gaming with social software
* Collaborative environments for interactive storytelling
* Storytelling and educational gaming with mobile technologies
* Cross-media storytelling and gaming
* Game design for narrative architectures
* Multimedia story and game authoring
* Storytelling and edutainment
* Evaluation and user experience reports of interactive storytelling
applications
* Case studies and demonstrations

Before submission authors should carefully read over the journal's
Author Guidelines, which are located athttp://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijcgt/guidelines.html
. Prospective authors should submit an electronic copy of their
complete manuscript through the journal Manuscript Tracking System at http://mts.hindawi.com/
according to the following timetable:

Manuscript Due May 1, 2010
First Round of Reviews August 1, 2010
Publication Date November 1, 2010

Guest Editors

* Abdennour El Rhalibi <mailto:a.elrhalibi at ljmu.ac.uk> , School of
Computing and Mathematical Sciences, Liverpool John Moores University,
UK
* Zhigeng Pan <mailto:zhigengpan at gmail.com> , State Key Laboratory of
CAD&CG, DEARC; Zhejiang University, Hangzhou 310027, China
* Ryohei Nakatsu <mailto:idmdir at nus.edu.sg> , National University of
Singapore; Interactive and Digital Media Institute, Singapore 119613
---

> We would like to invite you to submit a paper to the minitrack we

> are organizing for HICSS 44. HICSS will be held January 4-7 on the

> island of Kauai at the Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort and Spa.

> Below is the description of the minitrack.

> The full paper is due June 15. We welcome abstracts on which we

> will give feedback at any time.

> Please let us know if you have questions.

> Thanks.

> MINITRACK PROPOSAL FOR HICSS 44

> Virtual Worlds in the Workplace

> The adoption of innovative collaborative technologies in

> organizations is a complex process. Not only are organizations’ size

> and hierarchy influential factors to the process, but equally

> important are the ways in which visions of technology inspire and

> motivate people. Virtual worlds (VWs) are persistent, computer-

> simulated environments where users interact synchronously through

> avatars, moving in a 3D geography, manipulating digital objects.

> Virtual worlds are potentially important platforms for computer-

> supported cooperative work because of their capacity to provide a

> strong sense of co-presence and to create virtual geographies

> populated with virtual objects. In this mini-track, we will

> investigate how, at the organizational level, virtual worlds can be

> used as a viable and legitimate innovative collaborative technology

> that can persist beyond the initial cool-factor. Will it take a

> "killer app" to give legitimacy and viability to virtual worlds in

> the workplace?

> Wendy Ark

> Shaowen Bardzell

> Bonnie Nardi

> HICSS 44 Mini-Track Co-Chairs

Jeremy Hunsinger
Center for Digital Discourse and Culture
Virginia Tech
Information Ethics Fellow, Center for Information Policy Research,
School of Information Studies, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
http://www.tmttlt.com
---
-- CALL FOR PAPERS - Deadline for submissions (1st call extension): 30
April 2010 --

IADIS INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE WEB BASED COMMUNITIES 2010
Freiburg, Germany, 29 - 31 July 2010
(http://www.webcommunities-conf.org/)
part of the IADIS Multi Conference on Computer Science and Information
Systems (MCCSIS 2010)
Freiburg, Germany 26 - 31 July 2010
(http://www.mccsis.org)

* Keynote Speaker (confirmed):
Professor Wang Lu, Department of Educational Technology, Capital
Normal University, China

* Conference background and goals
The mission of this conference is to publish and integrate scientific
results and act catalytically to the fast developing culture of web
communities. The conference invites original papers, review papers,
technical reports and case studies on WWW in particular the emerging
role of so-called WWW-Based Communities.

* Format of the Conference
The conference will comprise of invited talks and oral presentations.
The proceedings of the conference will be published in the form of a
book and CD-ROM with ISBN, and will be available also in the IADIS
Digital Library (accessible on-line).

* Best Papers
Selected authors of best papers will be invited to submit extended
versions of their papers to selected journals (i.e. IADIS
International Journal on Computer Science and Information Systems -
ISSN: 1646-3692) including journals from INDERSCIENCE Publishers.
The better papers will be candidate for the "International Journal of
Web Based Communities" (IJWBC); ISSN: 1477 - 8394 [4 issues per year].

* Types of submissions
Full and Short Papers, Reflection Papers, Posters/Demonstrations,
Tutorials, Panels and Doctoral Consortium. All submissions are subject
to a blind refereeing process.

* Topics related to Web Based Communities are of interest. These
include, but are not limited to the following areas and topics:

The history, architecture and future of virtual communities
1. From mobility to connectivity
2. Identity and augmented ideologies
3. Visionary web architectures, implanted computers
4. Network revolutions, post-colonial and post-modern societies
5. Escaping from reality, virtual reality and multi-user games
6. Towards alternative ways of presence

Group processes and self-organization
1. Tele-democracy, morality, netiquette
2. Social networks, tribal- and open communities, peace education
3. Computer mediated-, hyper- and narrative communication, woven stories
4. MUDs, MOOs and avatars
5. Hosting web-based communities
6. Nationalities, ethnicities and gender effects

Cyborgs, teleworking, telemedicine, art games and learning communities
1. Fading hierarchies and epistemic dictatorship
2. Distributed cognition, the electronic cortex and constructivism
3. Community directories
4. Mechanic world, organic computer
5. Agents and the vectorized self
6. Beyond metaphors: imagining and representation
7. Communizing as a marketing approach

Expanding markets through virtual communities
1. The WWW as digital market place
2. The enterprise as a learning community
3. The learning as a road map for business
4. Universities as online communities
5. Business-to-business communication in profit- and non profit sectors

Virtual communities for people with special needs
1. Access to public spaces
2. Accessibility and long-term disabilities
3. Virtual communities in health care

* Important Dates:
- Submission Deadline (1st call extension): 30 April 2010
- Notification to Authors (1st call extension): 24 May 2010
- Final Camera-Ready Submission and Early Registration (1st call
extension): Until 7 June 2010
- Late Registration (1st call extension): After 7 June 2010
- Conference: Freiburg, Germany, 29 - 31 July 2010

* Conference Location
The conference will be held in Freiburg, Germany.

* Secretariat
IADIS Secretariat - IADIS INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE WEB BASED
COMMUNITIES 2010
Rua Sao Sebastiao da Pedreira, 100, 3
1050-209 Lisbon, Portugal
E-mail: secretariat at webcommunities-conf.org
Web site: http://www.webcommunities-conf.org/

* Program Committee
Web Based Communities 2010 Conference Program Co-Chairs:
Piet Kommers, University of Twente, The Netherlands
Pedro Isaías, Universidade Aberta (Portuguese Open University), Portugal

General MCCSIS 2010 Conference Co-Chairs:
Dirk Ifenthaler, Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, Germany
Nian-Shing Chen, National Sun Yat-sen University, Taiwan

Committee Members: *
* for committee list please refer to http://www.webcommunities-conf.org/committees.asp

---
CALL FOR PAPER

SPECIAL ISSUE OF THE RIA (ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE JOURNAL)

http://ria.revuesonline.com/

« SERIOUS GAMES »

From Serious to Ludic Activities, Design and Architecture,

Psychological and Sociological issues

Guest Editors: Jean-Marc Labat (University of Paris 6), Stéphane
Natkin (CNAM)

Paper submission deadline: 29 April 2010

GOALS AND TOPICS

The concept of Serious Gaming can be considered from two main points
of view: “Non gaming computer applications relying on the technology
or the principles of computer games”, or “ Computer games main goal
of which is not related to entertainment”. Whatever meaning is given
to this term, the Serious Games industry is growing rapidly, partly as
a consequence of several government initiatives in Europe, Asia and
America. Game studios and publishers, education and communication
companies, government agencies… are involved in the design,
development and marketing of Serious Games.

The development of Serious Games leads to numerous research problems
starting from psychological and sociological topics (user engagement,
educative principles, social adoption) to design (Game Design for
Serious Games) and technological ones (specific architectures and
tools). The goal of this special issue is to provide a state of the
art on these topics. Submission may cover either theoretical
contributions, analysis of new applications of Serious Games, and
innovative examples of Serious Games.

We invite authors to submit original papers in all areas of Serious
Games including (but not limited to):

- Design principles and tools
- Reusable components
- Augmented Reality and Serious Games
- Games and simulation
- Integration between gaming and serious goals, from gameplay to
scenarii
- Learning evaluation in Serious Games
- The player’s model
- Flow and motivation theory
- Psychological impact and risks
- Usability analysis

Editorial Committee

- Alvarez Julian, PhD, consultant, France
- Beck Sébastien, Daesign, France
- Brougere Gilles, EXPERICE, university of Paris13, France
- Boudier Valérie, Ktm-Advance, France
- Buendia Axel, SpirOps & CEDRIC/CNAM, France
- Carron Thibault, Syscom, university of Savoie, France
- CorrubleVincent, Lip6, UPMC, France
- Donnart JeanYves, Simulation/Thales, France
- Estraillier Pascal, L3i, university de la Rochelle, France
- Fenouillet Fabien, CREF, university of Paris 10 and university of
Lille 3, France
- Frasca Gonzalo, Powerful Robot, Uruguay
- George Sébastien, LIESP university of Lyon, INSA Lyon, France
- Guardiola Emmanuel, Seaside Agency & CEDRIC, France
- Hotte Richard, Licef, Téluq, UQAM, Canada
- Labat Jean-Marc, Lip6, UPMC, France
- Labordrie Cyril, Wizarbox, France
- MartyJean-Charles, Syscom, university of Savoie, France
- Ménager de Frobberville Eudes, Medigame , France
- Natkin Stéphane, ENJMIN & CEDRIC/CNAM, France
- Pasquinelli Elena, COMPAS, ENSULM, France
- Pernin Jean-Philippe, LIG, university of Grenoble, France
- Prensky Mark, CEO Games2train, USA
- Prevot Patrick, LIESP university of Lyon, INSA Lyon, France
- Proulx Serge, UQAM, Montréal, Canada
- Sanchez Eric, EducTice/INRP–LEPS/ university of Lyon, France
- Szilas Nicolas,TECFA,FPS, University of Geneva, Switzerland
- Sauvé Louise, Savie, Téluq, UQAM, Canada
- Tisseron Serge, psychoanalyst, PhD in psychology, France
IMPORTANT DATES

- Paper submission: 29/04/2010
- Author Acceptance/rejection: 10/07/2010
- Camera ready copy: 30/09/2010
- Publication of the special issue: end 2010
PUBLISHER :

www.e-revues.Lavoisier.fr or www.ria.revuesonline.com

RECOMMANDATION TO AUTHORS

Submit papers to J.M. Labat, University UPMC 4, place jussieu, 75252
Paris cedex 05 Tél.:33144276530 or 33626390716 or 33144277122 e-mail : jean-marc.labat at lip6.fr
According to the style sheet available at www.e- revues.Lavoisier.fr
(or on request at : ria at lavoisier.fr)
Paper maximum lenght is 30 pages
Paper can be written in French or English (only for non french native
authors)
Paper submitted has to be either pdf files (.pdf) or zipped poscript
file [.ps.gzip]), Word or RTF file (.doc) (.rtf).
Camera-ready copies are either PDF or Word files. The authors will
have to correct the typographic and editing errors according to the
publisher recommendations.

--
Susan Gold
In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom!