[game_edu] Student IP Ownership

Jose P. Zagal jzagal at cdm.depaul.edu
Wed Jul 14 15:52:50 EDT 2010

Hi Gregory,

Your email also asked for the rationale for allowing students to own
their work:

(a) Encourages (student) entrepreneurship

ex: Students can form their own companies and develop games based on
their school work.

(b) Reduces liability to the institution

ex: Student project (inadvertently?) infringes on someone's copyright.
If the institution claims ownership, it could be liable for the
infringement.

(c) Facilitates inter-departmental collaboration

ex: Students from the art department are working with engineering
students. A less restrictive policy makes things easier, especially when
different units have different policies in place.

(d) Good PR

ex: There are a few (recent) examples where a student project won a
significant award only to then discover that they couldn't develop it
commercially. These cases have resulted in a fair amount of negative
press for the institution.

(e) Encourages better student work (greater motivation to be more
creative when they have a stake in what they make)

In addition to having this policy it is important to educate and inform
students of it! We've (at DePaul) also found it useful to have students
sign a special agreement giving us (the university) the non-exclusive
right to use their material for promotional use (brochures, demos,
screenshots for our websites, that sort of thing).

Jose Zagal