[game_edu] Student IP Ownership

Gregory Walek gwalek at ccsnh.edu
Mon Jul 19 10:20:42 EDT 2010

It's not illegal for the school to retain IP if there's a signed document. DigiPen has students sign a document saying they understand that IP rights to all of their work are owned by the school. The Guildhall @ SMU, which I'm alum of, does this as well. I'd like to note that I do not want this to turn into a demonization of schools that do this. They have their justifications for doing so. Digipen is notorious about this because they regularly get projects which could have had legs but instead refuse to sell or negotiate with students for rights to monitize.

Portal's genesis comes from one of these projects. The difference here, and what Digipen Admin are telling new students, is that The Narbacular drop team did not take any of the code or other assets when they went to Valve. What you see in Portal was built from scratch and all new.

Please do remember: IP rights does not cover gameplay concepts.