[game_edu] Student IP Ownership - Example Documents

Justine Bizzocchi justine at sfu.ca
Tue Jul 20 13:02:05 EDT 2010

Simon Fraser University has an IP policy that applies to all members of the
community, including students, staff and faculty. Ownership of IP is
retained by the creator in all cases, although the university retains a
right to revenue-sharing should the IP be commercialized by the creator.

The policy can be found at http://www.sfu.ca/policies/research/r30-03.htm .

The policy is not perfect, by any means, as it does seem to lead to
continued confusion among some, because of the revenue-sharing clause.
However, the ownership issue is clear.

The team issue is a thorny one, and has not really been addressed at SFU.
The policy simply indicates that in the case of multiple creators, it is
advsiable to sit down and have an agreement among the creators. Because each
situation is different, it is difficult to have a template agreement, though
it might be useful to include as part of any class projects that teams make
an agreement on how to deal with the IP. Having a class discussion around
the issues is also useful. We have a program to support student
entrepreneurs and we are encouraging faculty to have a speaker come in to
the class early on for this purpose. We have certainly seen some ventures
fall apart when students disagree on how to go from class project to
product, particularly because many seem to have an unrealistic expectation
of what their contribution is worth. I can see why some schools would want
an upfront assignment of IP for this reason (though I would hope they might
offer revenue-sharing to the creators if the work is monetized) - to make it
simpler to do deals. I don't think the simple fact of paying tuition would
negate such assignment. There is a lot of investment still required
post-production to effectively market and distribute a work.

Hope this helps you.

Justine

Justine Bizzocchi
Technology Manager