[game_edu] GDC deals?

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 20 16:58:16 EDT 2010

Dipping into the department travel budget can make things easier on you ;-)

If you've been in the past and register soon you get the "alumni discount" which
is something like half off. Even if not, there's still an "early bird" discount
that is a pretty significant savings. Also if you've got a large number of
faculty/students going (like 10+), I don't know if they give group discounts but
it couldn't hurt to call and ask.

Are you a paid IGDA member? Check to see if there's a discount this year. In
past years there's been a discount that was actually larger than the cost to
join, making it kind of a no-brainer.

You can always choose a less expensive pass. Instead of All Access, either get
just the tutorial or just the main conference pass. (Bonus: you'll also spend
fewer days out of the office.)

To defray travel costs, there are such things as low-cost airlines, especially
if you book this far in advance. If you're looking to save on hotel, you can
share a room with one or more people (I've been known to split 2 or 3 ways with
students from my school who are also going). While I haven't done it before,
I've had students who stayed in a hostel instead of a hotel -- MUCH cheaper rate
if you don't mind the lesser accommodations.

- Ian