[game_edu] Game Education SIG Elections have started - Please Read :)

Sheri Rubin sheri at designdirectdeliver.com
Mon Sep 6 12:19:05 EDT 2010

Hi Game Education SIG members!

*The elections have started. They end on September 17th. Voting is underway!
*
My crack team (Andrew) was able to take the subscriber list of emails
and add anyone to the website whose email matched an email in the system
to the Game Education SIG group. Then anyone whose account was shown to
be a Full paid member was also placed in a sub-group for voting. You
should have (or as the system sends it out) received an email today that
says "IGDA: New Forum thread in IGDA Game Education SIG Voting Group".
That is the email that will give you the links to the candidate
statements and the voting links.

So that's the good news.

The bad news is that some of you are inevitably going to say that you're
a full paid member and should be able to vote but didn't get that email.
If that's true and you do not receive an email today please send me an
email *OFF-LIST* that tells me this. There are three likely reasons for
this:

1) You are not a full, standard paid member (free and student members do
not get to vote) after all. But hey, we warned you.

2) You registered to this mailing list with an email that does not
correspond to the email used with your membership for IGDA/the one you
registered to the website for. We did not try and figure out which extra
emails (the ones with no accounts associated to them) belonged to people
registered on the website. Especially since after looking at the list it
seems some of you register with many emails. :)

3) The IGDA database hasn't fully been cleaned up and at some point you
registered to the IGDA website with the email you registered to this
list with and so we have you down as a free user because we didn't have
your email that shows you as a standard member. (Similar to #2 but this
means you also have an extra account and you'll show up in the group
with that email.)

Everyone but #1 can be addressed for these elections, but we still
encourage you to join the IGDA and fix #1 for next time. :>

Since not everyone has access to the elections sub group below are the
candidate statements for Mark, Pete, Bill, Suzanne, and Chris who were
the five who stepped up to run for steering committee this time around
(in alphabetical order):

*Mark Baldwin:
*Hi, my name is Mark Baldwin, and I'm one of the old timers in the
industry. I would like to be elected to the Game Education Steering
Committee because I bring a rich history in the game industry, in
teaching games, and in supporting the game community.

After a number of alternate careers including cook and Space Shuttle
flight designer, I settled into game design and development full time in
the middle 80's. In those days games were one man projects, so I became
involved with all aspects of the game development process, from designer
to programmer to artist. Since then, I have designed and developed
over 20 successful games, won Game of the Year, and had 3 games on a
Best 150 Games of All Time list (and one game in a 50 worst games list).

My game management experience includes being President and Vice
President of several development companies. I was also a founder of a
publishing company. Currently, I am a college professor teaching game
design, and in addition I provide consulting and expert witness services
to the game industry on design and the development.

I became involved with teaching games a number of years ago when I was
asked to travel to New Zealand to start up a graduate games program.
Since then I have taught game design and development for several
colleges and universities. I currently teach for Westwood College and
DeVry University.

With respect to my work for the community, I co-founded one of the
oldest local development group in the world (Colorado Game Developers),
was on the founding board for the IGDN (half of IGDA) and was one of the
original supporters for GDA (the other half).

What this adds up to is a huge amount of experience with both education
and the game industry, both of which I believe are necessary for this
position. The industry has changed a great deal since I first became
involved with it, and I have successfully adapted to those changes and
hopefully even had a small influence on those changes. Should I be
elected, I will be bringing a long history of dedication, knowledge,
skill, and vision that will allow the industry to move forward into the
future.

*Peter Border:
*My goal for the EdSIG steering committee is to produce a place where
game educators can meet other game educators and talk about teaching
game design. I have been running the Game Design program at the
Minnesota School of Business for three years now, and it would be very
nice to have a way to talk with other educators. I continually find
myself facing questions that I'm sure someone else must have figured out
already, and some sort of forum where I could ask others about their
solutions would be terrific. I run into problems ranging from the
mundane ("Is book X any good?") to the near-spiritual ("How do you tell
a student that he realistically has no chance of fulfilling his
dreams?"). I think the EdSIG is the natural place for people to talk
about teaching game design, as distinct from doing game design, and so I
am volunteering to work on the Steering Committee.

Academic programs in Game Design vary dramatically even in such basic
questions as how many credits makes a degree, or whether everyone needs
to know Photoshop and Java. Some programs are clearly outstanding, but
many are not. Placement numbers in particular are just NOT a good topic
at many schools. We really need some sort of central clearing-house
where we can share information about our programs and learn what works
and what doesn't. I don't intend to push for any kind of formal
standardization, but many of us are working in the dark and need to
share what little light we have. I love teaching my courses, and I think
designing games is one of the most fun things I've ever done, but a
place to discuss methods and techniques with other teachers would be
wonderful.

My background is rather odd, like most people in this business. I
originally acquired a Ph.D. in particle physics, and spent 20 years as a
research post-doc at the U of Minnesota physics department. I started
working on games as a way to make physics classes more interesting,
eventually produced some physics teaching games, then finally bade
physics farewell and now spend all my time teaching game design at the
Minnesota School of Business. I bring a perspective of a very small
(40-50 students) 4-year program. I'm also starting my own company which
should have something to show soon.

*William Crosbie:
*Greetings to my fellow ed-sig members. I have been a member of the
IGDA, North Jersey Chapter, since 2001, coordinator for the game
development program at Raritan Valley Community College since 2007 and
have taught game design courses at Teachers College, Columbia University
and Rutgers University.

I am asking for your vote as a member of the steering committee for the
education SIG so that we can work together to strengthen game
development and design programs around the world. Academic game
development programs that were in the first wave fostered excellence by
forming strong ties to practitioners in industry. This was often done in
person at GDC or the Austin Game Conference. Many of those early
conversations have become part of our oral tradition, passed on from one
to another over drinks or via email. The relative rarity of events in
the early 00's made it possible for this to be the primary method of
disseminating information. The landscape has changed.

My primary initiative is to leverage improved communication about
specific elements of the revised curriculum framework from the point of
view of developers and educators. Specifically, I would like the new
online curriculum framework to include with it brief video interviews
with developers and practitioners for whom that bullet point is
extremely relevant. (ie - this is why vertex ordering in a 3D model is
important - artist perspective(s), engine programmer perspective(s) and
then snippets recorded by educators about how they go about teaching
that one topic.) Over time it will be possible to have as many
curriculum bullet points covered by as broad of a range of the industry
as possible, using both familiar names and folks 'in the trenches."

To implement this vision requires 'rebooting' our communication,
curriculum and the technical infrastructure for the SIG. This is not an
easy task. The SIG already has multiple channels that currently exist
and require greater curating and advocacy. It will require significant
planning and commitment from both the leadership and members of the SIG.
It will not necessarily be completed in a single board's term. If you
agree that this is an important initiative, I would appreciate your support.

*Suzanne Freyjadis:
*My name is Suzanne Freyjadis and I want to be on the Steering Committee
for the IGDA Edu SIG because I would like to help take this great
organization and make it even better. I am dedicated to the creation of
an even stronger game education community that includes support for the
educators as well as increased interaction between the education
community and the industry as equal partners in the drive toward the
future of gaming.

Much dedication and hard work has gone into the Edu SIG and I am really
grateful that Susan Gold was at the forefront to create this amazing
group and the support she has given game educators over the years has
been invaluable.

I want to be part of the Edu SIG Steering Committee to create an even
more robust community of game educators with all educators included and
heard. I would like to see even more discussion on the list-serv and
more opportunities for educators to gather at conferences and events. I
also think it is important to bring together all areas of post-secondary
game education so that the wide variety of universities and colleges are
aware of what is happening in the other programs.

I am also dedicated to increasing the conversations between game
educators and the game industry. I feel very strongly that active
communication exist between the industry and academia so that programs
have an understanding of what the future holds for the industry and the
game industry is aware of the research and advancements being made
within academia that can benefit it.

Another reason that I feel I would be a valuable member of the Edu SIG
Steering Committee is that I have a master's degree in Women's and
Gender Studies from the University of Texas at Austin where I spent most
of my course time in the Radio-Television-Film department learning about
developing technologies and how gender influences access to technology.
My thesis was on gender and the game industry and I have written
articles for several industry and academic journals and media.

Please vote for me for the Edu SIG Steering Committee. I promise to be
responsive to the needs of the community and to do my best to make this
great community even better.

*Chris Swain:
*I am interested in serving on the steering committee for the IGDA
Education SIG. One thing I am passionate about is helping talented
student game makers from different game programs connect with one
another to produce projects. For example it would be great if
enthusiastic engineering students without access to visual arts students
could connect with them through an online exchange sanctioned by the IGDA.

I have 14 years of experience as a game developer and university faculty
member. My area of interest is in original play mechanics. I have been
on the faculty at the USC School of Cinematic Arts since 1999. I
co-founded the EA Game Innovation Lab at USC and currently direct the
USC Games Institute which is a collaboration between USC's schools of
cinema, engineering, and communications. I have produced game research
projects with funding from NSF, NIH, Rockefeller Foundation, Annenberg
Center, US Army, and US State Department. Prior to USC I created
innovative games in industry for Disney Online, Disney Imagineering,
Sony Online, Microsoft Network, MTV Online, NBC, Activision, and many
others. In addition to USC I taught game design at the School of Visual
Arts in NY, City University of Hong Kong, UCLA Extension, and in
workshop format at conferences around the world. This past summer I
chaired the Game Education Summit conference which we hosted at USC.

------------------

That's all you basically need to know. Thanks for reading all that.

Have fun and happy voting!
Sheri

P.S. For the two who won't get elected this time around - don't fret!
The ones who do usually make it a point to call on those who don't first
to make sure they get put to work right away! :)

--
*Sheri Rubin*
Founder and CEO

*Design Direct Deliver*