[game_edu] real time research: improvisational game scholarship

drew davidson drew at waxebb.com
Wed Sep 22 11:47:49 EDT 2010

ETC Press is proud to announce the publication of “Real Time Research: Improvisational Game Scholarship,” by Seann Dikkers, Eric Zimmerman, Kurt Squire, and Constance Steinkuehler. Real-Time Research is based on a series of workshops conducted by the authors, as they pursued a new kind of interdisciplinary game experimentation.

Real-Time Research is a new kind of on-the-spot scholarship. At a series of conferences, the authors of this book asked academics, educators, and designers to collaborate on short-term, improvisational research projects - usually completed within 48 hours. What they found out - by way of sock puppets, video interviews, and lots of critical game play - might just surprise you.

This book chronicles the adventures of the authors and the results of their Real-Time Research experiments in education, game design, and media studies. It also serves as a guide to let you conduct your own Real-Time Research. In an age where rapid interdisciplinary investigation matters more and more, Real-Time Research offers a fast-paced method for collaborating across disciplinary boundaries in order to ask important questions. And offers a glimpse into the playful minds of today's leading scholars in games and learning.

"RTR resonates well with the experimental mission of ETC Press," says Drew Davidson, ETC Press Editor and Director of ETC, "we look forward to continuing to capture RTR sessions in an ongoing series of volumes."

Seann Dikkers is a former classroom teacher and principal and now a doctoral student at UW-Madison in the Games + Learning + Society group.

Eric Zimmerman is an independent game designer and a Visiting Arts Professor at the NYU Game Center. He is the co-author of Rules of Play (MIT Press, 2004).

Kurt D. Squire is an Associate Professor in Curriculum & Instruction at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and director of the Games+Learning+Society Program.

Constance Steinkuehler is an Assistant Professor in Curriculum & Instruction at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and chair of the Games+Learning+Society Conference.

For more information, and to purchase or download a copy, visit:
http://www.etc.cmu.edu/etcpress/rtr

ETC Press is a publishing imprint with a twist. We publish books, but we’re also interested in the participatory future of content creation across multiple media. We are an academic, open source, multimedia, publishing imprint that distributes its work in print and digital formats. We're interested in the sharing and spreading of ideas. This is definitely an experiment in the notion of publishing, and we invite people to participate.