[game_edu] Re; Susan's questions regarding curriculum framework

McGill, Monica mmcgill at bumail.bradley.edu
Wed Sep 22 16:35:20 EDT 2010

> 2) Some people have brought up the curriculum framework in their

> statements. Is our current framework working? Also, an aside, I would

> be interested in finding out if those running have adopted the current

> framework in their schools? What would you do to get wider adoption?

I am not running for the steering committee, but I have done some research
on the use of the IGDA curriculum framework in program development within
the UK and US. My (dissertation) study involved undergraduate programs at
public and private, not-for-profit schools.

75% of the US respondents and 56% of the UK respondents referred to the
framework in some way. US respondents also referred to the ACM/IEEE
Computing Curricula (62.5%) and also looked looked at game degree programs
at other institutions (62.5%). In the UK, curriculum planners also looked at
the standards of the British Computer Society (56%), Skillset standards
(which also has an accreditation process for games programs in the UK)
(68.8%), Game degree programs at other institutions (37.5%), QAA Computing
Benchmarks (25%), and the Computing Curricula (12.5%). Additionally, 6.3%
looked at national art education standards and also at the Scottish Credit
and Qualifications Framework.

Some of these are obviously non-game oriented frameworks, but they do
provide standards in other interdisciplinary areas of their programs.

The degree to which the IGDA framework was used varied across the
institutions. One comment made included ³The IGDA framework was examined,
but, frankly, was far from what we needed.² Instead, the participant
referred to established degree programs at other universities to guide their
content.

Just thought you might be interested. I think that a revision at this
juncture might better guide institutions in their curriculum planning
process. Also, it might be interesting to consider an accreditation process
for institutions that meet certain standards.

Monica