[game_edu] QOL

Philip Tan philip at mit.edu
Tue Apr 5 16:13:00 EDT 2011

This is just what we do at the Singapore-MIT GAMBIT Game Lab... your mileage
will certainly vary. Admittedly, we conflate QoL with time management, which
is rather simplistic. What students choose to do with their time outside of
game development projects is up to them -- some will just choose to play
other videogames -- and we don't really feel we're in a position to dictate
what students with their free time.

In semester classes, I generally just set very strict deadlines and
timeboxes. Get them used to finishing projects with fixed deadlines, have
frequent check-ins with teams, and positively highlight projects that scope
down early. (I have never seen a student digital game project that was
under-ambitious... in terms of scope, anyway.) Of course, all this is
prefaced by lectures and talks on time & scope management, task estimation,
and prioritization. However, it's difficult to dictate how much time
students should spend on homework during the school semester, because they
have other classes and demands that are out of our control.

During the summer, we can add a few more constraints and perks. When
students are working for us for pay (plus dorm lodging), we can be far
stricter - 8 hours of work a day maximum. Punctuality at the beginning of
the day is enforced, although teams get some flexibility to decide when
their work day starts. Around 6pm, we start up the loudest videogames we can
find (since we're in Boston, that's usually Rock Band) as a signal for teams
to stop work. Sometimes there are snacks. Since many of our summer students
are from out of town, we'll organize optional weekend activities so that
their default activity isn't just returning to the office.

Student producers who let their teams work late get chewed out (but not in
front of their teams, that's cruel). If we notice other students falling
asleep at work or working late (usually from version control logs or email)
we inform their producers and let them know it's their responsibility to
stop that situation from continuing, but we will assist the producer if they
ask for help. Sick students who show up are sent home. Students have to do a
lot of legerdemain to hide late-night or weekend work from us, which still
gets the point across: overworking is frowned upon, scoping down is
preferred, particularly if there are clever design decisions to make along
the way.

The basic idea is to provide students with the tools, advice, and
constraints to be able to run a project with reasonable QoL. The goal is to
have the students demonstrate to themselves that they can make a reasonably
polished game in 40 hours a week. What they choose to do with that
experience is up to them.
----
Philip Tan
Singapore-MIT GAMBIT Game Lab