[game_edu] QOL

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 16:46:32 EDT 2011

Are there archives of this mailing list? There was a previous discussion on the
topic awhile back.

For me, QoL is a common theme that I reinforce at every opportunity in all of my
classes whenever I see the opportunity. I think sometimes my students assume
that I'm always trying to talk them out of their chosen career, but they're
wrong. I'm only trying to talk them out of it if it would be a poor choice for
them :)

One of the classes I teach is a survey of the game industry (I like it when this
is one of the "gateway" classes to the game dev curriculum so that everyone has
to take it early on). The course itself is sort of a window into game industry
history, business models, job roles and responsibilities, important people and
companies and games and events -- basically a "how to survive a conversation
with a real life game developer at GDC without embarrassing yourself" kind of
thing. I devote an entire lecture to current issues in the industry, spending
most of my time on QoL and lack of diversity. The ea_spouse letter is one of the
required readings for that day, as is the QoL whitepaper (the one that lists the
"5.5 years" figure). And yes, there is a quiz. I also make two key points aimed
at the student mindset:
1) "Sure, QoL sucks in some studios, but I'll just accept a suboptimal job to
'break in' and then look for something better before I totally burn out." - yes,
this is one potential strategy, but keep in mind that a job hunt is a full-time
occupation in and of itself, and it becomes very hard to maintain the energy to
do that when you're already spending 80+ hours at work in a death march, so this
is a risky strategy.
2) "But I love making games. If I can do it for all my waking hours, that's
great, isn't it?" - perhaps right now, but I promise that some day this will
change. Maybe you'll decide it'd be nice to have a romantic relationship which
requires you to spend some time outside of work. Maybe you'll want to have kids,
I hear they can take up some of your time. Maybe it will just occur to you that
if you're breaking your back working on a game, you'd rather it be your own idea
and you'd rather profit from your hard work directly, rather than making someone
else's idea in exchange for unfairly low pay. Whatever the case, if you're not
prepared for this, it will burn you badly.

In capstone or other project-based classes, short-term crunch is often a reality
(I make the class milestone-based), and take the opportunity to point out things
that caused it, and particularly if the students are tired I will ask them if
they would like to feel that way every single day for months on end.

- Ian