[game_edu] Textbook publishing: Advice before signing contract

Dennis Rovere rovere at rovere.com
Wed Apr 13 20:19:14 EDT 2011

Not having done a textbook but having had several books published, you
should be careful of hidden editing fees that you may end up paying
for. Also, some publishers try to get right of first refusal by
trying to claim 'dibs' on future books on the same subject - going so
far as to the right to 'future ideas' on any topic that may be
remotely related to what you may have discussed or mentioned in
passing in your book.

Perhaps textbooks are different? But that is my two cents worth -
which given the state of the Canadian dollar is about 3.5 cents US.

Good luck and success

Dennis Rovere, B. Arch (cum laude), MA
Associate AIA, SAH
rovere at rovere.com