[game_edu] DigiPen's New MFA in Digital Arts

Angela Kugler akugler at digipen.edu
Thu Dec 1 12:48:51 EST 2011

Greetings Everyone,

I wanted to let you know that DigiPen has just launched a new master's program
in digital arts and we think some you, your students, or your colleagues may be
interested in this program.

You can find our press release below, but if you have any questions, please let
me know. The first year's class will be about 15 students max.

Best regards,

MS. ANGELA KUGLER
V.P. of External Affairs

DIGIPEN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
9931 Willows Rd NE
Redmond, WA 98052

Phone:(425)895-4438 | Fax: (425)558-0378 | E-mail: akugler at digipen.edu
Find DigiPen on Facebook, Twitter,& Zinch!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

DigiPen Institute of Technology Offers New Master of Fine Arts in
Digital Arts For Artists Seeking Careers in Games and Entertainment

REDMOND, Wash. – Dec. 1, 2011 – DigiPen Institute of Technology, a
global leader in game development education, will begin offering a new
degree program for artists interested in applying their knowledge to a
new discipline and recent graduates of BFA or related programs who want
to advance their skills in digital art production. DigiPen’s Master of
Fine Arts in Digital Arts, available on a full- or part-time basis, will
begin in September 2012.

DigiPen consulted with hiring managers and senior artists at a number of
studios including Bungie, Valve, Microsoft, Warner Brothers and Gas
Powered Games to determine the industry’s evolving needs for studio
artists before developing the program's 60 credit hour curriculum.

DigiPen’s MFA in Digital Arts differs from other programs in its focus
on applying traditional art knowledge and techniques to the game art
production process. The program emphasizes foundational studies such as
anatomy, figure drawing, sculpture, art history and color theory while
also teaching students to apply that knowledge in a production
environment through courses in character design, digital sculpting, hard
surface modeling, lighting, texturing, rendering and rigging.

During the program, students will be able to develop a strong portfolio
of work and, upon graduation, will be able to integrate quickly into
professional game teams.

"DigiPen’s MFA program will advance today’s modern sculptor in the
digital age,” says Ted Warnock, senior animator at Flying Lab Software
and a long-time industry veteran. “ I think the curriculum, from the
fundamentals of traditional figure drawing and sculpture to the latest
in 3D digital modeling, will produce the skills of the well-rounded,
fully educated character artists we look to hire at our studio in the
future."

DigiPen currently offers bachelor's degrees in real-time interactive
simulation, digital art and animation, computer engineering and game
design as well as a master’s degree in computer science.

For more information, visit www.digipen.edu.
# # #
Press Contact:
Angela Kugler, V.P. of External Affairs
DigiPen Institute of Technology
Phone: 425-895-4438
Email: akugler at digipen.edu

DigiPen Institute of Technology is a top-ranked educational institution
offering multiple undergraduate and graduate degrees in programming,
digital art and animation, computer engineering and game design. It was
established in 1988 in Vancouver, BC, Canada, as a computer simulation
and animation school. In 1996, DigiPen moved to Redmond, WA. In 2008,
DigiPen opened a new campus in Singapore at the invitation of the
Singaporean government, followed by a campus in Bilbao, Spain, in 2011.
In addition to its undergraduate and graduate degree programs, DigiPen
offers K-12 educational programs throughout the state of Washington, the
United States, and abroad.