[game_edu] Qol, "crunch" and Education

Ali Arya arya at carleton.ca
Fri Feb 4 10:05:38 EST 2011

I agree :-)

First I want to thank Lewis P for sending link to that IGDA article.

Second, like many of you I think encouraging students to have crunch modes
is not generally a good thing, but we shouldn't forget a couple of things as
mentioned by some in this thread:

1- It is good for them to have some experience and see how it feels to be
under pressure and work extra hours
2- They are young and full of energy (hopefully:-) and they should use that
to do some extra creative fun work. The Global Game Jam was a good example
that a short period of crunch can be both educational and fun. It can be a
good example of how to set up real-life crunch experiences for students.

Best,
Ali Arya
Assistant Professor, IMD Program Coordinator
School of Information Technology, Carleton University, Ottawa
Phone: 613-520-2600 Ext. 4184
http://www.csit.carleton.ca/~arya

"You see things and say why,
I dream of things and say why not ..."