[game_edu] Qol, "crunch" and Education

Philip Tan philip at mit.edu
Fri Feb 4 10:48:27 EST 2011

Ian's pre-jam powerpoint stressed the need for sleep... I also interpreted
Keita Takahashi's keynote as demonstrating how creativity and relaxation go
hand-in-hand.

For game jams, I suggest putting downtime into the schedule. We shut down
our jam site in the evenings so everyone can get home for some rest. We also
had a substantial amount of food catered for meals so that people could
really dig in and chat for an hour instead of running on snacks for the
entire weekend. Of course, a lot of the conversation is about game
development, but it's great for cross-pollination of ideas and people get to
unwind. My personal experience is that I solve lots of problems on my games
while I'm away from the computer.
----
Philip Tan
Singapore-MIT GAMBIT Game Lab