[game_edu] Qol, "crunch" and Education

Roberts, Scott sroberts at cim.depaul.edu
Fri Feb 4 20:01:26 EST 2011

To clarify, I wasn't going off on Global Game Jam in regards to crunch. I don't think that working through the night on a fun activity like that is bad at all, and doing it by choice for fun is very different than being forced to do it by your employer. I just think the timing of this discussion so close after was humorous. My experience is that students like the idea of working all night every once in awhile, and there is an appeal to the camaraderie of having conquered it with your friends. As I get older it has less and less appeal, but it's different when you're 20. For them it can be very fun (and many of them stay up all night gaming anyways).

For example, at the end of the quarter we discussed with animation students whether they'd rather have the labs open longer on Sunday night or be able to work all night on a Saturday. They overwhelmingly chose to work through the night (I told them they were crazy). The UCLA Animation Workshop has been running "Falling Lizard," a 48 hour animated short film weekend marathon session, for over 30 years, and we're thinking about doing something similar. Because it can be FUN.

Scott