[game_edu] Qol, "crunch" and Education

Ali Arya arya at carleton.ca
Mon Feb 7 08:37:03 EST 2011

Mike,

I sympathize with you on all the hardships. In our school, I've been there
every night too for the past three years (usually with 1-2 student
volunteers but not always) and we've had troubles with having people over
during the nights. We didn't have to pay but we had other issues with campus
safety.

Still I personally like the idea of a non-stop 46-hour jam from Friday 5pm
to Sunday 3pm. In fact I think this is one of the few constraints that need
to be there if a site wants to call themselves GGJ site (there are not
really a lot of constraints as the site management is very flexible). If a
site decides that they want to close for nights, that's still allowed though
as long as they start/end like others.

Best,
Ali

PS: Working in schools, I assume we are all used to not getting a
"thank-you" by now ;-) Many game jammers did thank me though. I have a set
of clay figures on my desk that a group used for their game and left it for
me (it was last year: http://globalgamejam.org/2010/flimflam-fernandez) .
I'm sure your jammers are grateful too, even if they don't say it.